Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Six Terrifying Things I'll Try in 2016

After reaching a certain milestone birthday, I decided to start giving myself a present. This present went beyond new yarn that may never unravel from its skein, or boots that I may only wear a handful of times before donating to charity.

One year I decided to be less judgmental. Another year I decided to focus on avoiding gossip. As I get a handle on one thing, I add something else. I never master it completely, because all humans are imperfect, created with an array of flaws which makes them susceptible to free will. I can keep trying, and for the most part I do.

For 2016 I decided I would take on six things that terrify me. (If I'm being perfectly honest, the thought of making this list alone takes me to the outskirts of Anxiety Attack Land.)

  1. Use a chop saw (aka miter saw).
  2. Cook without setting anything on fire.
  3. Attend Bouchercon 2016 in New Orleans.
  4. Read something I wrote to a crowd.
  5. Write and mail a query letter to an agent.
  6. Set up the Amazon store for our family's business, Hammerhead Woodcrafts.
Some of these might not seem that scary on the surface. Consider however that with each birthday that creeps up on me, I experience a little more social anxiety. Things that never bothered me before are suddenly problems of epic proportion.

Speaking of terrifying...let me introduce you to my favorite Doctor Who villain, the weeping angels.

What terrifies you? Will you challenge yourself to try something terrifying in 2016? Let's talk about it in the comments section below.




No comments:

Post a Comment