Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Target, Transgender People, and Public Restrooms

There's a lot of upheaval over which bathroom should allow a transgender person. Some people want to base it on gender at birth while others are okay with basing it on the gender the person best associates with at the present time.

A lot of my Facebook friends who agree with things like North Carolina House Bill 2 (HB2) are of the Christian faith. This bill, as CNN describes:
The law...put in place a statewide policy that bans individuals from using public bathrooms that do not correspond to their biological sex. It also stopped cities from passing anti-discrimination ordinances to protect gay and transgender people.
Here's what I think.

  1. No transgender person has ever caused harm to myself, my husband, or our children. Does that mean they can't or they won't? Nope. It means there's the same for them as there is for anyone else to cause emotional or physical trauma to another human person.
  2. Jesus said to love everyone. He didn't say, "Only love the heterosexual people" or "Only love the people who are born comfortable in their own skin". Part of loving someone is accepting who they are.
  3. Most of my shopping takes place on Amazon. If I have to shop local retail, then I'll happily drive over to the next town so i can shop at Target. As another blogger mentioned, their Dollar Spot is pretty fabulous. And bonus - they also have a built-in Starbucks with a Pizza Hut.

It's okay if you disagree with me on this. I just ask that we disagree in a respectful, grown-up manner.

One of the characters in my Treasure Pines cozy mystery series, which coincidentally takes place in North Carolina, reveals his transgender side in the second book. As I finish writing the first book and wrap up final edits on HAUNTED WOMEN OF THE APPALACHIANS, it will be interesting to see how real life pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment